Google’s Gmail is the most popular Internet-based email clients worldwide. Concurrently, many organizations use Microsoft Outlook as the mail service to access their email messages and making email communication. Users who want to use both email services have no need to suffer the problem of checking emails in two different places. The Gmail account can be easily configured with the Microsoft Outlook’s auto configure method. But it’s necessary to set up Gmail to let you download emails as POP or to map emails and folders via IMAP. Here’re the instructions to Configure MS Outlook for Gmail.
Set up Google Gmail to Sync with MS Outlook
- First of all, access your Gmail account and click the ‘Gear’ icon and then choose the ‘Settings’ option.
- Click on the POP/IMAP and Forwarding links provided above the Inbox.
- In POP Download, click to highlight the Enable POP for all emails that reaches from now on.
- Choose the Archive Copy of Gmail in the drop-down menu beside the While Messages Are Accessed With POP
- Click on the ‘Save Changes’ button.
The above-cited method configures your Gmail account to allow Outlook to download emails via POP3 protocol. If you want to map the folders and receive your email messages via IMAP, continue with 1 to3 steps above and rather than choosing Enable POP option, reveal the IMAP Access and click the Enable IMAP option. Note that you can either choose IMAP or POP, but cannot both.
Auto Configure MS Outlook
When you have completed with the above, you can use the auto-configuration tool for Microsoft Outlook for configuring your email account.
- Choose ‘Add New Account’ option via the ‘File’ menu.
- Type your email ID and password in the related dialog box. Click ‘Next.’
Now, MS Outlook will take a couple of minutes to look for Gmail settings and will configure the email account for you. If you have selected POP in the Settings, then you will acquire a POP3 account. Therefore,if you have selected IMAP, then you get an IMAP account. If you want to configure Outlook for Gmail manually, the following settings will help you to use it without being contacted at the MS Outlook support helpline number.
Configure MS Outlook Manually For Gmail Account
- Choose the ‘Add Account’ option in the ‘File’ menu. A dialog box appears, now choose the manual to configure server settings or additional server types. Click ‘Next.’
- Determine the ‘Internet Email’ option and again click the ‘Next’ button. In the dialog box, type your name, password and email address in the related boxes.
- In ‘Account Type’ option, choose POP if you want to make a POP3 account. For IMAP settings, click the IMAP option.
- Type the imap.gmail.com or the pop.gmail.com for the incoming mail server, which depends on the account’s type you want to create. Type smtp.gmail.com for the outgoing server. Click the ‘More Settings.’
- In the ‘Outgoing Server’ section, click to choose the ‘SMTP Authentication’ option. Click to pick the same for incoming mail server.
- Access the ‘Advanced’ tab. To make the POP3 account, type the995 in Incoming Server Port. For IMAP, type 993.
- Click to choose This Server Requires an Encrypted Connection. Set the encryption type of SSL for creating an IMAP account.
- Enter 587 in the Outgoing Server Port and set the encryption type toTLS. Click the ‘OK’ button to close the dialog window.
- Click on the ‘Test Account Settings’ option to check the settings of the account. When you see a message stating that your account settings are right,click ‘Next’ to exit from the dialog window.
However,if you need any further assistance for configuration, feel free to make a call at the MS Outlook support helpline number and seek the quick solution.